Saturday, March 6, 2010

My favorite "grumpy old man"

When I was a kid I spent half my life staying overnight at my best friend Grace's house.  I met her when I was 5 and can't remember when I stayed there for the first time but I was probably 5 and a half.

She would call me, our moms would discuss the drop off arrangements, and I would stay over.

Her Dad was older and already retired.  I think he was a carpenter for the Union.  Unlike my Dad who went to work everyday on the second shift,  Grace's dad was always home and had the job of "watching us".


Poor guy.

He was the original "Grumpy old Man".  Walter Matthou has nothing over on Eugene Palmer.

It would usually go something like this.

My mom would drop me off at Grace's, I would have my little brown bag all packed with my overnight clothes.  Grace would meet me in the driveway and we would run into the house and run to the back of the house first thing.  That is where her dad had his wood work shop.  It was so cool to me.  My Dad didn't have anything like that.  I remember him always smoking and working in that shop.

Always.


The shop smelled of cigarettes and sawdust.

I remember there was one of those pictures of the doggie with the sad eyes hanging on one wall.


He carved things out of wood.  We used to watch him and drive him nuts.


The conversation usually went something like this.


"Hi, Mr Palmer".


"When did you get here, Annie?"


"I just got here, Mr. Palmer".


"Who in the hell said you could stay here?"


"Mrs Palmer".


"She never told me about it".


"Oh"


We would both giggle.


"How long are you going to be staying?"


"Until Sunday, Mr Palmer".


"That's way too long".


giggle, giggle.


"Why don't  you two go play in the road or something?"


"we would get run over by a car Mr Palmer".


"That's the idea, dumb dumb"


giggle, giggle.

"Mr Palmer, my dad doesn't smoke".

"I'm NOT YOUR DAD".


"The last time you were here I caught hell from Edie.  You two little idiots got into Darlene's crap.  I am warning you, DONT DO IT AGAIN!!"


"Oh sure Mr.Palmer"


"I mean it"


giggle, giggle.


"And don't eat all the damn cookies like you did last time."


"Yes sir"


giggle, giggle.


When he was in a good mood, sometimes he would get out his harmonica for us and play it.  Usually after supper.  We loved that.




I remember once he carved out a pair of clogs out of wood.  I wanted those shoes in the worst way.


"Mr Palmer can you make me a pair of those shoes?"


"Now why in the hell would I want to make YOU a pair of those shoes?"


I asked him about a hundred times, getting the same answer every time.


I never gave up.


I remember one day he had to take me home.  We loaded up in his old Blue truck.


He drove me and Grace to my house. 


"Get out you little brat".


giggle, giggle.


"And oh yeah ,  here is something you forgot."

He handed me something wrapped in an old crinkled up kleenex.


I didn't open it up until i got to my bedroom.


In that old crinkled up kleenex was a pair of those carved clogs.


That old guy really did have a heart of gold.


I miss him.


Giggle, Giggle.


Talk later,


Annie

































2 comments:

Faithful said...

That was a great tribute to Mr. Palmer..loved it.

Unknown said...

Being older, and being one of Darlene's friends, I got to watch Mr. Palmer carve voo-doo type faces. He had them all over the workshop. Darlene told me he would sell these. I couldn't believe anyone would want them, they were so idolistic and creepy looking. I never asked him to make me one. Glad he stopped carving heads and started carving feet! Barb(ie Ornce)Farner