Sunday, February 7, 2010

It's all in the attitude

It's no secret, I hate football.  My Dad watched it, my ex-husband watched it.  I hated it. 
Years ago, when I was first married,
I was complaining about it to one of my best friends, Bonnie one day.  She listened to my whining for a while and then said "You are doing it all wrong. come over to my house next weekend during a game and I will show you what I mean."

I waited until the next weekend and then went over.  I really didn't want to go.  She was in the kitchen cooking.  "Come on in".  There was a bunch of people there laughing and having a ball.  How in the hell did she do this?

"OK, listen, Anne, first of all you invite fun people over, you make a ton of fun food and you buy a bottle of Captain Morgan's rum."

She then proceded to tell me that she hardly even went in the room where the "game" was playing, too busy having fun in the kitchen.

"As long as my husband is happy out there, I am happy in here!"

"Holy crap, that's it".  I was doing it all wrong.

The next week I made a grocery list of things to make, invited people over and we had a ball.  After that, I loved football.  Still don't know a damn thing about it, couldn't  have cared less, but it became fun for me.

I never forgot what she taught me.  Something so simple, but so smart.

Thanks Bonnie!!

Talk later,

Annie

1 comment:

threecollie said...

You got it! We have a little family super bowl party. They watch the game...I eat potato chips with dip and read a good book with my Peltor hearing protectors on. lol Everybody's happy. Have a great day!