Wednesday, February 10, 2010

When your tips suck, hem your uniform

One of my very first jobs I ever had was working as a waitress at a restaurant called "Earl's Diner".  It was a neat restaurant.  The owners names were Marilyn and Earl Northrup.  They used mason jars as drinking glasses, played all sorts of old country music and the legs on the tables were covered with blue jeans and had cowboy boots on them.  Kinda corny, kinda neat.

One day Earl came back from a vacation he and Marilyn had been on down south somewhere.  The minute they got back we had a "meeting".  "we are going to have all the waitresses wear white uniforms now, we saw it in a diner in Tennesee and we liked it so much, we decided to buy uniforms for all you girls." 

You could have heard a pin drop.

These stunning beauties were white and were supposed to look like "Mel's Diner" uniforms.  Marilyn bought everyone size large.  We were mostly small girls at the time.  


The next few days at work were awful.  The uniforms looked nothing like the sexy waitresses on TV.  We looked like Nurse Ratchit, all of us.  Then one day I had an idea.


"OK guys, friday night after work, instead of going to Chaffee Hotel, I want all of you to bring your uniforms and plan on staying after we are closed.  


Friday came and I was prepared.  I had my sewing machine, sharp scissors and pins.  One by one, I had the girls put on their uniforms inside out.  They thought I was nuts.  I pinned the darts so they actually fit their boobs, cutting out the fabric.  The darts that were in these uniforms were meant for someone with  DD  boobs,  we did not have DD boobs. Nurse Ratchits must have big boobs.


Then I   would pin up  the hem on the dress, make the girl pick up something off the floor.  I would pin it up so you could see her underwear, then let it down a few inches.  I cut off that excess fabric and hemmed away.


The girls were happy as hell.  We looked like Mel's diner and not the Nurses from Hell.


Marilyn got used to the new look, Earl really liked it and everyone was happy, especially the customers to consisted mainly of truck drivers.


Moral of the story:  don't freak out over the problems in your life, just figure out how to fix them.  Or hem the hell out of your uniform and you will get better tips.


Talk later,


Annie

No comments: