Saturday, September 25, 2010

Old Friends

I ran into an old friend at the gas station the other day.  I haven't seen him in something like 7 years.

I could see him getting out of his truck.  It wasn't the truck I remember. 

I got out of my van I am sure he was thinking the same thing.

I stopped dead in my tracks.

So did he.

"I think it's him", was my thought.

I am sure he thought the same.

He is a bit heavier.

I am sure he thought the same about me.

He took 3 steps.

I took 3 steps.

What if it's not him, this guy will think I am nuts.

We both slowly walked toward each other trying to look into the "eyes".  I have found out that if you  haven't seen someone in forever you can usually catch the "spark" in their eyes.

The truck he was driving really didn't look like something he would drive.

OK, I had an idea.

I got closer and called him a name we used to have for him.  You know, a nickname.  A name no one else would know except him and I.  The other ones that would know this nickname are probably dead.

He looked up at me with a huge grin.

"ANNIE, it IS you!!"

Whew, it was him.

We chatted small talk and exchanged phone numbers.

Sure was nice to see him again.

On the way out he hollers "Call me sometime".

"I will".

I paid for my gas and forgot to pump it in the van.  I drove off.  I turned around when Wheezer said "Mommy you didn't get the gas".

I pulled back in.

He was standing there.

"You will never change Annie".

"Yeah, somethings don't change, some things do".

"Good seein' ya kiddo".

Had a nice feeling all day. 

Lots of good times.  Lots of water under the bridge.


Good to see old friends.

Talk later,

Annie

1 comment:

threecollie said...

So cool that you found your old friend. That is a wonderful thing!