Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Great Depression

I stumbled across this last night.  It was so hot I couldn't sleep so I wasted time on the computer.  This is a really awesome collection of photographs from the Great Depression.

I just love the clothes they wore then.  You can just see the hardship on their faces.

I don't think people today have a clue as to what those folks endured.

As a kid I would listen to my Grandpa tell stories.  Most of the kids would wander off after about 10 minutes of a story, but I would sit there and listen carefully, trying to remember every word. Some stories would be repeated to me over and over.  I would always sit and listen.

My Gramps is gone now.  I wish I would have written down some of those stories. 

Click here Great Depression, to see these beautiful photos.

Talk later,

Annie

3 comments:

threecollie said...

Those of us who grew up with grand parents who experienced the Great Depression are fortunate indeed. We know what people can do when they are short of funds and assets and we have been taught to understand hardship. I am very grateful for them

J Vacanti said...

My parents were kids during the depression and it was always interesting to hear the stories. My mom lived in the city while my dad lived on a farm so the stories were so different. But I still do and eat things today that is a carryover from my mom's experiences growing up through the depression era. My favorite: Salted bacon grease sandwiches. In fact even today she still tells me about how meat was either in short supply or to costly in the city and so you saved the grease and ate that as a substitute.
My dad says on the farm you always had meat.

Faithful said...

My Mom grew up during the depression, and during these hard times we're havin' now..she'll tell us stories about what she remembers going thru. She also grew up on a farm so they found enough to eat but she says extended family like stray Uncles, cousins and Aunts came to live in their small house and everyone that could grow a garden did so. She worries that about this generation now being ready for what might be in store for them. I love listening to her talk of the old times and her grandparents, too!