Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Lady at Amvets

Yesterday I ran into my favorite  second hand store.  

Amvets.


It's the greatest second hand shop in the world.  I love it because it is so big you can usually find what you are looking for.  I wanted some yoga pants and came out with a cart full of great crap.

I got to the check out and a woman walked by me.  She was smiling and talking to one of her co-workers.

I just had to stop her.

"Oh my God, you are still working here?"

She looked at me.

"Oh my God, it's you!, where have you been".

"Oh, I moved away for a while, you will see me in here again".

"Great to see you!"

"Hey, I have to ask you, how the heck long have you been working here?"

"30 years this year".

You could here a pin drop.  The other customers were staring at me.  Probably because they couldn't give a crap how long she had been there and maybe because NO ONE works at the same place for 30 years.

She ran off waving her arm.

This woman is incredible.  She told me she was 61 years old.  When I was a kid my Dad would take me to this store and we would poke around in there.  I would buy clothes, he would buy "Dad stuff".

That lady was always on the register, laughing and smiling.


When I went to college at Bryant and Stratton, I would stop in there to get clothes for school and suits for interviews.


I always looked for that lady.


When my older kids got old enough for school, I would pick up a lot of things for them for school.


Same cashier.


Now 30 some odd years later this woman is still there.  Still smiling with her dangling earrings, still chatting with the customers.


I think this is amazing.  I wish there were more people in the world who could find happiness in their work like she does.  When you look around there are so many miserable people, crabby and cranky, when you meet someone like her, you don't forget her.


I gotta go and unpack my bags of goodies.


Talk later,


Annie



No comments: