Wednesday, August 18, 2010

School Clothes

OK, we are eating supper last night and Tim looks up from the newspaper.  

"Hey, there's an article about people who swap school clothes". "When did they interview you?"

He turns the page with a smile.

I love these articles.  I have been "swapping" clothes since the dawn of time.  I learned the art of "swapping" from my Mom.

Now they have a name for it so its "O.K."

I've been swappin' kids stuff through 7 kids for goodness sake.

Come on, it's just giving people your stuff that your kids have outgrown and getting some of theirs that they have outgrown.  When did this become a "new" concept?"

Maybe because people are actually realizing how much they waste?

I have not purchased any new clothes for my 4 kids this year for school and I have a closet full of beautiful things.  A few I picked up from yard sales and a ton were graciously given to me.

OK I will let you all in on a huge secret.


1.  Your kids will not die if all of their school stuff is not new.


2.  The clothes police will not arrest you if your kids don't have brand new back packs or the latest sneakers.


3.  Who in the hell would know if most of the stuff is new or not anyway?  After you wash something once, it becomes "used".  Does it matter who got to wash it the first time.


I have to go to the bank now and apply for my loan to get school supplies, that is a whole other topic.


Talk later,


Annie

Oh yeah click on this link to see the official swapper article. swappers

Oh crap, I forgot to throw this link in here. Threadup I am going to join the Threadup thing.  Looks like fun. 

2 comments:

threecollie said...

My kids were the beneficiaries of friends and family who subscribed to the must be new philosophy. Since they did need some things purchased new we gave them each a set amount of money and turned them loose in the stores. What was left after they purchased the must haves was theirs to budget for school purchases through the year. You would be amazed at how well a nine-year old can shop with that incentive.

Faithful said...

I'm old as dirt and my Mom was swapping our clothes when we were young (she had 8)... usually got things from the thrift store. My youngest(22 years old) shops there ..says it's Vogue!