Friday, August 20, 2010

Yes, you can "can"

OK, we have the world's biggest garden.  When you have the world's biggest garden, you can sell some of it, but most of it you have to find a way to preserve it.  I do a lot of freezing and canning.  Freezing is easy, canning takes a bit of work.

Here is how I do it.

I get up in the morning and fill the canner, it takes a lot of water and takes a while to start boiling.  I throw the jars in the dishwasher to get them hot.  This week I am working on tomatos.  I pick them the night before so they are ready to go.

I get out the food processor that I bought for 5 bucks.  I wash the tomatoes, process them skin and all and fill the hot jars.  Seal those babies and boil in the canner for 45 minutes. I think it holds 8 jars.  Then I throw a bunch more in freezer bags, skin and all.  Remember most of the vitamins are in the skins.  No, you won't die from tomato skins.

If you are only going to do one batch, you can turn off the canner and go do something else (like go drink beer in the creek), and when you return the canner water is cold and you can take the jars out.  If you do it a little at a time, it's not overwhelming.  I have a ton of them done up.

Later this winter I make the tomatoes into spaghetti sauce.  I make it in the crockpot.  Easy as pie.


I grab the canning jars at yardsales and if you ask people to look for them, you can find them for just about nothing.


It's really not as bad as people think.  If I can do it, anyone can "can".


Here is the spaghetti sauce recipe.  It has been tested in my house and it has been "kid" approved.crockpot spaghetti sauce.

Talk later,

Annie

No comments: