Wednesday, November 11, 2009

cheap cigarettes, whiskey, and ketchup

I got a call today from my friend Janet.

"My dad died yesterday" was her opening line.

"Crap, I'm so sorry".

I loved that old guy. I love all old people. Her dad was a neat guy. I remember going to a party at her house one day and talking with him alone on the porch. I asked him what he thought was the secret to life. Surely he must know .

"Cheap cigarettes, whiskey and Heinz 57 ketchup" was his reply.

I sat there in silence for a minute thinking to myself "what in the hell is he talking about?"

"I have smoked cheap cigarettes all my life Annie and they never did me no harm. A little whiskey never hurt anyone and when you are cooking and can't quite figure out what to put in your concoction , add Heinz 57 ketchup, it's full of spices, bet you didn't know that did ya?"

"No Sir, I didn't".

All these years I have never forgot those words , wise words from a wise old man. A man who had seen alot of change in his lifetime, a man who had worked hard to suppport his family. A man who had his own restaurant for years. A man of Polish decent.

I will miss the "old guy".

See ya later father!!

Do widzenia. (Goodbye)

Love ya,
Annie

No comments: