Saturday, November 14, 2009

death

Today is Janet's Dad's funeral. Today is the day to say "Goodbye" officially. He was 90. We could all only hope to live to be 90 and accomplish half the things he did.

A couple of years ago I lost a good friend. He was very young, around 17 I think. He died very suddenly from a brain anurisom. I took it pretty hard. He helped on the farm and was always with us.

I moped around for a week or so until one day one of the old farmers from up the road stopped over.

"How long are ya gonna mope around here?" he said to me.

"probably forever" was my reply.

"Come over here Annie I have something to say to you".

Crap, I was too busy feeling sorry for myself for one of those "old guy "speeches.

"I hate to tell you this Missy, but you are going about this all wrong. Why are you so sad? You should be happy. Just think about it this way, he is up in heaven looking down on all of us just laughing. He isn't feeding these stupid calves any more and he doesn't have to stay up all night milking cows. He is probably up there drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. It's time for you to snap out of it girlie. You should be mad not sad. You are still here and you have to feed these calves and milk the cows now."

He drove off.

I sat there for a minute and thought about what he said.

Crap that old fart was right!

I finished feeding my calves, went to the house, drank a beer and smoked the last cigarette that was left in the pack he had left behind.

"Adios Amigo"


Annie

No comments: