Sunday, November 22, 2009

Recipe #4 Crackers with butter and a side order of chicken heart

Yesterday I caught my kids playing with the sheets off my bed with a flashlight. At first it made me mad,then I stepped back for a minute and thought about the days when I used to do the same thing.

I shut the door and let them have their fun.




Back in the 70's when I was growing up my bestest friend had a Easy Bake oven. This was just about the neatest toy you could get back then. It simply looked like a little oven and ran off a light bulb. It would actually bake little cakes.

I don't know how many houses were burned to the ground due to these little contraptions.

It was awesome I tell ya!!

Grace's mom worked and her Dad was in charge of us. Her Dad was 100 years old and watching us really wasn't his favorite pastime. All I can remember him saying to us was "You two little idiots stay out of trouble".

That is all I remember him ever saying to us. Well ,maybe a few times he did say "your mother will be home any minute, now get this damn mess cleaned up".

May he rest in peace, I loved that old guy. I really did.

As soon as her mom would leave the driveway we would try to find crap to get into. I loved to make those crackers. I also loved Bill Cosby. Grace's sister had moved out and left behind a Bill Cosby record album, yeah the old black round things that look like frisbies.

Grace would get the little oven out and get the crackers and butter out of the kitchen. I would rip the sheet off her mom's bed and get her Dad's flashlight. We would melt butter on the crackers and listen to Bill Cosby's Chicken heart. When you are 6 years old it's scary as hell. I mean scary. She would put the record on and I would quickly turn off the lights and turn on the flashlight. We would try to scare the crap out of each other listening to that old record.

We didn't have computers, gameboys,vcrs, blah blah blah.

We had to use our imaginations.

It was fun. Really fun.

Talk later,

Annie


No comments: