Saturday, December 19, 2009

christmas candy from the old days


When I was a kid the candy we got for Christmas was memorable. We didn't get candy all the time back in those days like they do now. We used to get this box of "hard candy". I mean this crap was hard, really hard. It would take days to finish one piece. It was that hard. In those days the spices they used were wicked too. The peppermint was so strong you could smell those candy canes a mile up the road and the spiced candy was only for "old people".

We used to get beautiful ribbon candy in a box. Mine would always get smashed because I was never careful with anything so I would wind up eating ribbon candy dust. It was still good.

When I got a little older in elementary school we would have the gift exchange. I am told they don't do such things anymore in school. Whatever. That was a huge deal to us back then. Maybe it's not a big deal anymore. Maybe the teachers don't want to be bothered, maybe it's against the law for all I know.

We would have to buy a gift for another kid. It had to cost under 5 bucks. Some years you would know the kid, some years they would throw them in a pile and you would pick a number and get to grab one off the pile. I still remember how exciting it was. The most popular gift to get was the Lifesavers box of candy. It was so cool. It was a little box made to look like a book of candy. It was the absolute coolest thing, and it was in the price range so all the moms bought them. Most kids would hoard their lifesavers and have them forever. Me, I would find Gracie and we would eat the whole box in one sitting. Then we would save the box because it looked "cool".

Try not to forget that excitement you felt as a kid. I know sometimes I sort of forget how much fun it was.

If you get a box of that crappy hard candy from someone, come on over, I will eat it with you. If we drink enough rum we wont taste the spices.

Talk later,

Annie

No comments: