Thursday, December 17, 2009

red-neck kareoke

I was putting crap away yesterday and found our fan. For God's sake, it's December guess we won't be needing it for a while. I am still trying to gather up the Halloween crap.

The fan brought back some great memories. I plugged it in and yelled "hello" thru it. The kids laughed.

"That's Aunt Amy's fan, Mom".

I will explain further:

When we had a farm in Beaver Dams, NY we were as poor as church mice. We are still as poor as church mice, the only difference is now we live in Ashville.

My sister in law came to visit one weekend and wound up staying for a year. It was great.

We didn't have crap for money because there are no jobs in Beaver Dams, New York. We had the farm, and the price of milk was crappy again.

One friday night Amy was complaining she wanted to go see some band at this bar. It was really hot and I had the fan on in the kitchen. We lived in a mobile home so it was always hot in there.

She was standing by the table and I was washing dishes.

"I really want to go out tonight" she said.

"Amy, we don't have any money" was my usual reply.

"I know"

Her voice sounded weird when she answered me.

"Say that again"

"Say what again?"

"Hey the fan makes your voice sound weird, talk into it".

She grabbed the fan and talked into it. If you have ever done this, it's a blast.

"Oh my God, we don't have to go anywhere, we have our own kareoke right here!"

"Hurry get your CD player!"

I finished the dishes and she sorted through the CDs. We found Chris Ledioux, Jerry Reed and a ton of other great oldies.

"Hurry, call the neighbors, tell them to bring some beer"

They showed up with beer. They always had money for beer in Beaver Dams, New York. Amy showed them the kareoke. They thought we had lost our minds, maybe the heat had gotten to us in the trailer, maybe living in the middle of nowhere had finally put us over the edge.

After a few beers, everyone was taking turns singing into the fan. It was so fun even the kids loved it.

It became a friday night ritual forever until she moved back home for work.

I miss those days.

It was fun.

Talk later

Annie

I miss those days

No comments: