Saturday, January 23, 2010

the moving guy

The other day my girlfriend stopped over to pick up some dressers I don't use. I am getting rid of them because they are too heavy for me to move and I have never put any clothes in them the whole time they have been in my possession.

She pulled in the yard with this man I had never met before. Nice guy, I figured it was her husband. He jumped out of his van and asked where the dressers were, opened up the door and walked right into the bedroom, no whining, nothing. I stood there in silence.

He grabbed the big heavy mirror off the top of the dresser, and had it bungy corded to his van in less than half a minute. I could tell he was a professional.

I helped him load the dressers, and one coffee table he picked out of my garbage pile.

He walked away for a minute to get something out of his van so I whispered to my friend, "Wow, you have a great husband".

"Are you kidding me", she answered. "I am divorced, that's certainly not MY husband. I hired this guy through a friend, he moves furniture for people for extra money.

We both laughed and they drove off.

There for a minute I thought she had a husband who liked to move furniture.

Wrong again.


It has been my experience that this is the way it goes.

1. you move in with someone, they are all about helping you move your stuff, your furniture, your crap.

2. this lasts for 1 week

3. after the first week is over, you are never to ask to move another piece of furniture again.

4.This is the law

5. The 11th Commandment is "Thou shall not move furniture".



We have an unwritten law here, you get to move the heavy furniture ONCE, after that you are on your own. I hate that.

Talk later,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Schel's Law of Furniture: Do not purchase, accept in barter or receive any furniture before lifting said furniture. If you cannot lift and move said furniture on your own, do not purchase, accept in barter or receive said furniture.