Saturday, July 10, 2010

candy cigarettes

I had to run to the reservation to get Copenhagen for Tim yesterday.  When we go, the girls and I always get candy cigarettes.  I can't believe they aren't outlawed by now, I'm sure they will be soon so I just keep enjoying them until they do.

When I was a kid as we got old enough to ride our bikes on the road, we would ride down to the East Concord General Store.  We called it "Wilma's."  I guess because Wilma owned it.

We would take our money that we had saved and we would buy candy.  Once I bought a pack of candy cigarettes, they tasted like crap but I thought they were cool.  I  brought them home and my mom had a total fit.

"Don't you ever buy those again!, I can't  believe they make candy into the shape of cigarettes"

Crap

The darn things tasted like chalk, they weren't even fun to eat.


I never bought those cigarettes when my mom was around.  Every once in a while I would feel really rebellious and buy a pack of those little white outlawed candies, eat them, and ride around on my bike wondering if she would find out.

Every time the girls and I get a pack of those things I think of that.

In the 70's our idea of rebellion was very different than it is today.

After I get done typing this story, I have to throw out all our little candy boxes.

You never know when Mom will show up.

Talk later,

Annie

No comments: