Saturday, July 24, 2010

those darn recipes

Almost every time I go to a party, I come home with a recipe of some sort.  Last week it was brownies with coconut frosting that my sister made for her daughter's grad party. (totally box mix and canned frosting).

I have been collecting these recipes for years at parties.  I have tracked people down at Church functions, Fairs, weddings, funerals, and grad parties.  I seldomly come home without a napkin or envelope with a recipe scrawled on it.

I remember once we were at one of those boring cow meetings.  I don't remember which boring cow meeting it was, but I think it had something to do with the milk co-op we were in.

Someone had made this awesome dessert out of pretzels and jello.  Sounds weird, but it is excellent.  I was not going to leave without the recipe.  I tried to find the woman who made "the pretzel thingy".


I could not find her.


Now I was on a mission.


Thank God they had an open bar.  After a few drinks and a very boring speech from a very boring co-op president, they asked if there were any questions.  


Silence.


Obviously no one had any questions.  Most of the farmers were either sleeping in their chairs or looking at their watches thinking how late it was getting and they had to get up early.


Silence.


What the hell, I stood up and walked up to the front of the room.  I grabbed the microphone.


"Does anyone know who made the awesome pretzel dessert?"


Laughter.


The co-op president shot me a look that would have killed most people.  I stood my ground.


The husband of the "pretzel lady"  shouted out "My wife did".


I shouted back "Can I see you before you leave?"


"Sure".


I gave the microphone back to the co-op dude who was a bit miffed.  I teetered back to my seat after one last stop at the open bar.


There were no more questions about his slide show.


I left with the recipe.


He left with his slides.

The following is the recipe:

PRETZEL JELLO DESSERT 
1 stick melted butter
1 1/2 c. crushed pretzels
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 lg. container Cool Whip
1 c. sugar
1 (6 oz.) pkg. strawberry Jello
1 lg. pkg. frozen strawberries
Mix melted butter, pretzels, and 1/2 cup sugar together and press into 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake 6 minutes at 350 degrees. Dissolve Jello in 2 cups boiling water and add frozen strawberries. Let gel. Combine cream cheese, Cool Whip, and 1/2 cup sugar; put on top of crumbs. When Jello is starting to set, pour over cheese layer and refrigerate until firm.


Talk later,


Annie

No comments: