Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hangin' Laundry (or , this really sucks)

It's 76 degrees this morning and I just can't run the dryer.  The dryer police will surely show up here and arrest me for running a dryer on the hottest day of the summer.

So, I hung out a bunch of laundry.  I have so many people here, I have to do laundry every day, it's not an option.

I was whipping my clothes over the makeshift clothesline I made out of yellow rope I found in the barn and it made me think of my Grandma and how I learned how to hang laundry.  I had to stop and laugh for a second as I threw the jeans over the rope with no clothes pins.

We lived above my Grandparents which was a really cool thing.  My Mom gave up on ever trying to domesticate me, so one day she had my Grandma show me how to hang clothes the proper way.

Boy, was I doing it wrong.

She had this cool little fabric bag that hung on the line that you put your clothes pins in.  I thought that was so neat.

"OK, Annie show me how you hang laundry".

I grabbed some clothes, whipped them over the line and tryed not to let her see me looking at the neighbors house.  I could see they were getting a dodge ball game going.  For God's Sake how long is this going to take.

She looked at me as though I had just murdered someone.

"Annie, you have to use clothes pins.  They hold the clothes on the line dear".


I could tell this was really going to be fun.


"Now, you have to hang the jeans and pants from their legs like this".


She carefully pulled out the pants, shook them out and hung them up.  This was taking way too long for me.


Then she proceeded to show me how to hang the shirts, connecting them together to "save on clothespins."


This REALLY was taking way too long, I could hear the neighbors picking sides for the ball game.


Now Annie, I am going to tell you the most important thing about hanging out laundry.


I tried to look interested, man this was taking forever.


"You never hang the ladies panties with the men's boxer shorts".


I stood there in silence for a minute.


"Why not Grandma, who cares anyway?"


"Just listen to me, it's very important to separate those, very important."


I followed her directions to keep her and my mom happy.


Was this my first talk regarding "the birds and bees?"


I really don't know, but in those days they tried to teach us things very different than they do now.



I stopped wearing panties years ago.  I see no need for them whatsoever.

I had 7 kids so I guess the talk didn't sink in very well either.


What would Grandma say to that?  I am sure she is looking down on me from heaven shaking her head.


"Oh Annie,  I tried, I really did".

I have to go and hang the rest of the clothes on the line now.


Talk later,


Annie



1 comment:

Daytime Sunshine said...

LOL...I don't think my G'ma wore panties either.