Monday, July 5, 2010

Playin" in the Crick and Floating Barbies

It was Fourth of July yesterday and very hot here.  After much begging from the kids, I decided to take them to the creek down the road.  I have never taken them there , so it was a new adventure for all of us.

I was so happy when I go there, it was super clean, super accessible, and super shallow.  We even threw the dog in.

I sat down with my crocheting and wasted a good  hour.  

It made me think of when I was a kid, we used to have a creek in our back field once a year in the spring.  My mom showed us how to take our Barbie dolls and tie a piece of yarn on to them and float them down the creek.  

We loved it.  Simple shits we were.

About 10 years ago  my sister Kathy and I took our kids to Sprague Brook Park for a little picnic.  We unpacked our crap and both pulled out Barbies and yarn.  I couldn't stop laughing.  She had one up on me and actually had a plastic boat.  She has a son and she didn't want the poor kid to be seen with a Barbie for God's sake.

Last night we watched the fireworks,  we didn't have to drive anywhere.  Fireworks are against the law in New York State so everyone and their uncle has like a million dollars worth of them.

Where are the fireworks police anyway?

I started to tell the kids about my childhood memories of The Fourth of July and they ran off in the middle of the story so I will tell it here.

When I was a kid my uncle would take us to watch the fireworks, we would throw blankets in the back of his old pickup truck and maybe potato chips or whatever we had to munch on.  He would drink beer and we would watch the fireworks.  It was awesome.  We would freeze our butts off on the way home laughing and screaming out to people we would pass on the road.

I am quite sure New York State has a law against riding in the back of a pickup truck, another one against screaming at strangers, and we won't even go there with the beer thing.

Ahhh yes, the good old days.

Talk later,

Annie

1 comment:

KateHill2003 said...

I want to come play in the creek. I'll bring my Barbies.