Monday, October 5, 2009

Coconut bras and Grass Skirts




I did not grow up here in Ashville, I am from a normal town called Springville where everyday is pretty much the same except Wednesdays - I will touch on that another time. Here in Ashville we live very close to the "Lake" Chautauqua Lake to be exact. Tourist town (trap) whatever you want to call it. I have noticed that the local grocery stores sells bread in the winter for a buck and in the summer its five bucks try to figure that one out.

Being a broke dairy farmer i have to go to the gas station alot to get my gas for the tractors in five gallon pails so i go there alot. In the winter it is no big deal , pump and go. BUT>>>>>>>> in the summer its a whole new story. Folks come here from all over especially Ohio to visit the "Lake" They must not have any lakes in Ohio or something i really dont know. These folks that are here on vacation are a trip.

The other day i was getting my gas and this lady jumps out of her SUV and starts asking me questions. "wow, it's so nice here", "what do you do here?" blah blah blah. So i answer "work maam". Dont you go to Chautaqua? "No maam we work" Dont you go to Lillydale? "no maam we work." "How about the Ferry how about the Chautaqua Belle?" "No maam we work".
"You locals are so friendly!!!" and the lady drove off.

If you live here you cant afford to do any of that stuff for example: It cost 10 bucks just to drive thru Lillydale. 10 bucks just to park in Chautaqua to give you an idea. I really dont have 10 bucks just to park anywhere. This got me thinking. A friend of mine asked me what do you do on the Ferry? "Just ride it i guess" i answered "Don't know never rode the damn thing". "what do you get for riding it"
"The satisfaction of riding it i guess?" was usual stupid answer. I went home and thought about this. "The locals as we are called kinda made me think of Gilligans Island or Robinson Caruso maybe we are all stranded here in Chautauqua like they were and maybe i should take advantage of that so i came up with a plan. Next year i am going to order 5 sets of coconut bras and grass skirts and the girls and i will dance on the beach down at Bemus point with bones in our hair and wave at the vacationers who can throw us money. Maybe we can pay some bills on the farm that way. I will send photos when i get them.

No comments: