Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Life in the Bat Cave

Tim and i had good jobs working on a large dairy farm. I milked about 450 cows there he managed the place. Good pay good benefits the whole nine yards. Then one day he had this great idea of getting out own farm. All i have to say is "Don't try this at home".

I must admit it has been alot of fun along the way but i really dont know if i would have done it if i knew what I was getting myself into.

We found a farm to rent in Attica New York not too far from the prison, i thought i could get the inmates to paint the barn (wrong). The barn and house needed a ton of work and i mean a ton. So we loaded up our 40 cows and moved to the big town of Attica. There is not much in Attica except the prison and the police department.

We proceeded to fix the barn which took a ton of money we went about a billion dollars over budget and decided to move into the house that was on the property. No one had lived there in years and it was made totally of stone. All the stones were from the property we would later learn. It seemed like alot of fun---milking cows, running through the fields of clover, fixing up the house, oh this would be a wonderful life.

Chapter two. There was no heat in house and it was made out of stone i guess you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure out it was really freaking cold in there. Someone had started to remodel the house and must have died or left town in a hurry because they left piles and piles of plaster and lathe everywhere. In between milking cows , feeding cows, spreading cow shit, paying bills, begging the bank for money, i didn't have anytime to remodel anything let alone a house so we moved into the kitchen the first year and i stapled a rug over the door leading to the living room. I heated the kitchen with a kerosene heater and brought my bed down from my "real house" that was now rented out. Holy crap why did i rent out my house shit now i have to stay here. OK Anne buck it up i thought you are tougher than that. This is the kind of life they make documentaries out of.

Winter sucked and then came spring. It was pretty quiet in the house until the hot weather came and then............OMG i want you all to think "what in the hell lives in stones?" caves are made out of stones, right? Holy crap BATS!!!
That house must have had a million bats living in it. I think there little bat bodies froze in the winter and when it got warm flew out to find food. We had them everywhere. Hanging in the windows, flying around your head at night it was like the Adams family without the laugh track. I slept with a broom by the bed.
Fast forward about 3 years: I am sitting on the couch breastfeeding one of my latest editions to the family. I had the kids at home with a midwife and was feeding the baby when i heard a squeaking noise. A baby bat fell out of the freaking wall and landed on my boob. I just about died. I sat there quiet for about a half a second and then yelled "If you don't get this bat off me i will kill the first person i see when i get off this couch mister". Well mister takes it and puts it in a cool whip container with a lid so my second from oldest can take it to school.
We tried to shoot the bats, poison the bats even make friends with the bats. It was a long 3 years for me and the bats let me tell ya!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Love that you can make me laugh even when life is really reallly stinky.